- The US Fire Administration Reports there are more than 12,700 clothes dryer fires annually, resulting in 15 deaths, 300 injuries and $88 million in property loss each year. “Failure to clean” is the leading factor contributing to clothes dryer fires in residential buildings.
- A clear dryer vent can improve energy efficiency, allow clothes to dry more quickly, and lower utility costs.
- Our technicians clean both the inside and outside portions of the vent.
Dryer vents clog when enough lint accumulates in your ventilation system to cause a blockage. Dryer vents can clog in a variety of ways. For one, a lengthy distance on a dryer ventilation system increases the likelihood of bends and curves in the system, where lint is most likely to collect. Second, dryer ventilation tubes are made from pliable plastic or foil, which can be easily crushed or dented given enough pressure. Finally, a poorly connected ventilation or dryer vent screen can cause lint to trap. Some ventilation screens serve to prevent animals from accessing the ventilation, but these screens can also create a barrier for lint.
When a dryer cannot ventilate properly, it will negatively affect your home’s energy efficiency, the integrity of your clothing, and the operation of the dryer itself. A clogged dryer vent can affect the levels of heat the dryer uses to dry clothes. If clothing is subjected to extreme heat, your clothes, especially your delicates, can be ruined by the higher temperature. Additionally, if the mechanisms of your dryer are subjected to high heat over a prolonged period of time, those mechanisms could fail long before your dryer has reached the end of its service life. By ensuring that your dryer vents remain clear, you safeguard your clothing from damaging high heat and keep your dryer working as it should.
Indoor air quality is an important factor to respiratory health. A clogged dryer vent could negatively impact the indoor air quality of your home if not allowed to ventilate properly. If you have a gas dryer, a clogged dryer vent could cause the release of carbon monoxide. Because ventilation systems tend to run through a lengthy portion of the home, that monoxide leak could place several areas of your home at risk.